Sunday, July 7, 2013

DC Days - White House art reception and Smithsonian exhibition and book of the week

I was honored to be invited by First Lady Michelle Obama to attend the White House Historical Association Arts Reception on June 5, 2013 in celebration of American art. DC has been good to me this spring and summer. I also got to see my 2011 "Issei" painting reproduced in a traveling banner Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center exhibition at the National Museum of American History AND my coedited book with Wei Ming Dariotis War Baby / Love Child: Mixed Race Asian American Art was selected as a staff pick book of the week at the book store in the Smithsonian American Museum of Art.


On my way to the White House

I brought my brother Sam as my guest.

First Lady Michelle Obama at the June 5, 2013 Historical Association Arts Reception in celebration of American art. Photo by artist and fellow attendee Clare Rojas.

Franklin Odo (retired founding Director Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Program), Laura Kina, Margo Machida (Professor Art History and Asian American Studies, University of Connecticut), Theodore Gonzalves (Associate Professor and Chair American Studies, University of Maryland), Trisha Lagaso Goldberg (Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts commissions project manager, independent curator, and artist), and CYJO (artist).

Curatorial Assistant Noriko Sanefuji and me in front of my banner image at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History exhibition "I Want the Wide American Earth: An Asian Pacific American Story."

My coedited book with Wei Ming Dariotis War Baby / Love Child: Mixed Race Asian American Art (University Washington Press, 2013) was selected as the staff pick book of the week at the end of June in the book store of the Smithsonian American Museum of Art. Thank you Joann Moser, Senior Curator Graphic Arts, for suggesting our book.

1 comment:

  1. The manager of this place was flexible in allowing us to bring in our own personal touches, including a host of different desserts (which the staff plated beautifully for us).
    Dallas Wedding Venues

    ReplyDelete