Monday, January 25, 2010

Many Thanks/Meet the artisans from MarketPlace: Handwork of India

Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti and Laura Kina closed on January 18, 2010
There are so many folks that I would like to thank for making this show possible.

First, I would like to thank Shelly Jyoti for inviting me to show with her in India and for the wonderful experience of collaborating with her this past year. She is a true friend. Thanks also to her family in Baroda and her parents in Delhi, Mr. and Mrs. Pundit, for hosting me, feeding me amazing food and making me feel like a Jyoti minus the MBA. To their son Pranav, I am forever indebted to you for spending 16 hours on a crazy car trip to the Taj Mahal. I'll let you know when I finish the Bhagavad-Gita. Mr. Rajeev Jyoti, "portion control" in eating and management tips from a captain of industry are things I hope to take forward in my life. Vas, I'm so glad I was able to witness (and photograph) your parents and Pranav's meeting for the first time. Congratulations on your engagement.

Shelly and I both want to thank Mr. Agrawal, of ABS Red Earth Gallery, for inviting us to preview our exhibition in Baroda, India. What an amazing space! We honored to have Maharaja Ranjitsinh Gaekwad and Maharani Shubhangini Gaekwad inaugurate the exhibition. In Delhi at India Habitat Centre, Mrs Vilasini Ramchandran Additional Secretary Expenditure
Ministry of Finance, Government of India, New Delhi, was our chief guest.
In Mumbai at the Nehru Art Centre, our chief guest was India’s Member of Parliament Mrs. Supriya Sule.

Most of all, I want to thank the artisans at MarketPlace: Handwork of India for helping me make my work for the Devon Avenue Sampler series. Walsh Gallery artist Indira Freitas Johnson introduced me to MarketPlace. Her sisters, Lalita Monteiro and Pushpika Freitas, founded MarketPlace. Thank you Lalita and Shaily Agrawal for your patience in working with me and for overseeing the work in Mumbai. Shelly Jyoti took the snap shots below in Mumbai at the Nehru Art Centre.
The women artisans that embroidered for artist Laura Kina's Devon Avenue Sampler series:
Rabia- Nirmaan Cooperative
Jabina- Sahara Cooperative
Rekha- Ware Cooperative
Meera- Sahara Cooperative













Shaily Agrawal with Shelly Jyoti
To learn more about MarketPlace: Handwork of India visit:
http://marketplacehandworkofindia.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/artisans-collaborate-with-artist-laura-kina/

http://www.marketplaceindia.org/MPI/


1 comment:

  1. laura dear! u are a sweatheart yourself!and was a pleasure for me, mum and dad ,pranav and Rajeev having you over to Baroda and Delhi.You are family to us!count India as ur second home and plan a vacation with family here some time! best shelly

    ReplyDelete